Monday, September 10, 2012

Pray for Jerry Lawler...Man feels like I was hit in the stomach..

I normally do not do posts like this.  When Princess Di died I never shed a tear.  She meant nothing to me.  Yes it was tragic but I didn´t mourn like the nation. 

When Owen Hart died I openly wept.  Now it looks like it is Jerry Lawler´s turn.  Man what a blow!  I am deathly afraid of heart attacks.  Jerry had a massive one.  There are reports that he vomited, turned blue, and went without oxygen to the brain for about 20 minutes. 

I first heard of Lawler back in 1993.  I have been a WWF lifelong fan.  Never caring about other federations.  Never interested in finding out about them.  He was a bad guy.  Funny as hell!  He was one of the first bad guys that made me laugh out loud.  The other was Jesse Ventura.  There was one time at King of the Ring 1996 that he insulted the fans on the way down to the match with the Ultimate Warrior.  He called one fat gal with a blue shirt on a mailbox.  I cracked up!  He was hilarious. 

So I never knew him from his wrestling accolades.  It was his voice primarily.  There are reports that he will be a vegetable.  This makes me incredibly sad.  I never knew about his body of work before the WWF.  In 1998 I am sitting in my dorm room at acting school when I accidently saw a TV special.  IT was about his rivalry with Andy Kaufman.  I have never been more impressed TO THIS DAY about a storyline.

Dad I and were watching back in 1998 till 2003.  He always enjoyed Lawler´s commentary too.

I hope you fully recover Mr. Lawler!  If you happen to pass I know Andy would love to rough house with you again.

8 comments:

  1. This is truly horrible. Iv been watching Jerry for 30 years or more. He was a great wrestler in the early and mid 80's ,He was really entertaining. I still have a wimp busters shirt from way back in the day. This is very sad and I hope he pulls through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Jerry was my childhood hero for a while because he was the first wrestler i remember ever seeing on TV way back in the day when he was wrestling in Memphis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Like I said I didn´t find him till 1993.

      Delete
    2. Yeah i grew up in Louisville KY and every Saturday afternoon we got Championship Wrestling from Memphis. Man those were the days when it was still good vs what it is now.

      Delete
  3. He is truly the King of the Ring.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been a huge wrestling fan, but Jerry's smack down of Kaufman on Letterman still ranks as one of my favorite TV moments of all time! I pray he recovers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerry? Really? Shoot...I gotta look this up now

    ReplyDelete