Monday, September 24, 2012

Memory Monday: AMSCO DELIGHT!

Hello all!  I do not have a computer again!  It decided to crap out on me.  Luckily I have made blogs for a few days in advance.  So I am posting Monday´s although very late.

  I want to talk a little bit about Amsco toy company!  They made cardboard superhero toys in my youth.  See we had Mego and that was about it for Superhero toys.  I WISH I had kept a few of these awesome playsets from Amsco.  But alas....This was long before the awesome time we have now of Marvel Universe 3 inch figures.
This one is from 1966 apparantly.  When Batman fever gripped the nation.  I never had it.  Boy it looks fun though.  Look at it!  Wayne Manor, the Batcave and Gothom city all in one playset!

Amsco in the seventies branched out into Marvel.  This is how I want my heroes and will always remember them!  I hardly recognize the characters nowadays.  Luke Cage looks like a thug, Iron Fist is white, Thor looks weird, The Hulk is red etc.  Shame shame.

Marvel World was a hell of a playset.  It was all the imagination of the Marvel Universe in one toy.

I used to closely examine each character becoming very familiar with all of them and loving them.  No, not in that way.  I always wanted Mego to somehow catch up to Amsco in their characters.  Never happened though.
They even made Spiderman´s life!  I used to love spiderman villains.  Look at em in all their glory!  But I always put Rhino as a Hulk villain.  I didn´t know till a few years later he started his rampage in ASM41....
Now I was a little young for Planet of the apes fever but I still caught the last wave of it.  Amsco even made this.  Seeing the original movie years later and I would have wanted one of these things.




7 comments:

  1. These are rather cool Hobby and something i don't remember ever having or seeing as a young boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh yeah. They don't make em like this anymore.

      Delete
  3. I don't remember these, but I absolutely love all that classic Romita 70's art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi.

    I'm a big-time Amsco MARVEL WORLD fan!

    Since you're using several of my own pics from my blog post about the playset (not that I mind - everyone uses them. lol) I hope you wouldn't object if I tossed in a link so people can read all about the item (in insane detail) including dozens of pics of the playset - front AND back.

    http://sanctumsanctorumcomix.blogspot.com/2008/11/visit-world-of-marvel-marvel-world.html

    Thanks!

    ~P~
    Sanctum Sanctorum Comix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I have seen you post over at Mego Museum about it! Thanks!

      Delete