Monday, May 5, 2014

League Assignment- You don't know Jack...



But I did see him once!

Let me set the scene.  It was end of May 1996 and I was really looking for a better job.  A brother at the Kingdom Hall showed me his check that he got from the Ritz-Carlton.  WHOA!  It was in the thousand dollar range for a two weeks of work.  My friend's name was John.  He gave me the captain of the waiter's telephone number so I could call and he would let the captain know.  I was a pretty fair waiter.  I had spent a few months as a busboy at another job and moved onto another job at the Corner Cafe as a waiter for the past 6 months.  So I knew what I was doing.

I pestered the captain for a few weeks until they gave me a job interview.  Turns out the 1996 Olympics were in Atlanta so the Ritz needed some extra employees to handle the banquet posistions as NBC had rented the entire hotel for 2 weeks.  So I got a job at the Ritz handling the breakfast banquet section.

That crap was hard!  Had to be there at 5am and work till 12 or so.  I am not an early riser.  BUT NBC had some guests staying with them.  So we got to see in the flesh...Jonathon Silverman the kid who was in Weekend at Bernie's, Helen Hunt and Hank Azaria who were still a couple....And finally this guy...
This is pretty much how he looked at 6am.  Hair uncombed, ratty looking....But it was him!  I was STILL obsessed with the first Batman movie back then.  So I took his empty plate and pocketed his fork.  Yeah, I stole a silver fork from the Ritz-Carlton.  I was kidding among the staff that I was going to auction if off for big bucks because it had Nicholson's food still left on it.

So yeah I do not know Jack.....But I met him ever so briefly.

5 comments:

  1. An Actor that we would love to actually meet....!!!
    And "Happy Cinco de Mayo" anyway... have a drink for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too! However the Mexican people do not celebrate it here.

      Delete
  2. You need a caption on that photo that says something like "My closest brush with greatness".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That spot would be reserved for...........Hulk Hogan. Yes I met the Hulkster once. He called me brother. I still haven't come down off my high.

      Delete
  3. We have met Lou Friggno, "The Hulk" a couple of times...
    when we shock his hand ,... his Large hand completely "engulfed mine....

    ReplyDelete