Thursday, April 10, 2014

Controversial Thursday- Collecting for collecting's sake

During my roamings on the internet I come across things from time to time.  This one wowed me at first, then made me repulsed.

http://blogs.wvgazette.com/popcult/2014/03/21/joelanta-2014-thats-a-lot-of-toys/

This guy's toy collection.  A full warehouse....JUST for one guy.
That is collecting for collecting's sake.  There is no possible way he loves all those toys.  None.  He is a guy that has nothing in life but trying to have the biggest dick on the block.  That is all.  Bragging rights.  A guy who has accomplished nothing in the world but to have toys.
The above pic is not something to be proud of.  This is a person who needs mental help.


It made me take a hard look at my collection.  I do not collect things JUST to collect things.  I have gone on and on with this blog how I absolutely hate certain things about toys.

There are many things I would never collect.  Baby toys, the cutening up of my beloved Superheroes with anime faces, anything small....I hate it all.  I think they suck..

But I do, focus my collection.  Wrestling figures, Marvel universe, Childhood toys, and Universal Monster stuff for the cafe.  That is pretty much it.  If I had the money would I become like this guy?  No.  I think I am the only one who feels this way but by having SO much you deprive others of finding the joy in toy collecting too.  I think of others.  Especially kids.  There are some within our hobby that buy EVERY single rare action figure at a store, then mark it up on Ebay.  Those are the assholes.  THOSE are the ones destroying the hobby.  Likewise you will NEVER see anything I buy in the box.  That shit is to be tossed away and the fucking toy to be played with.  They are toys.  Not art.  Take them OFF the shelf and have a battle!  Have fun.

I feel like my little monster collection brightens other people's days.  Kids come in here by the thousands.  They are not sitting in my basement just sitting on the shelf collecting dust.  They are sitting on the shelf behind the glass display...um....collecting dust.  HAHA...No but really my collection is for others to enjoy.  Not just myself.

I mean that guy had the Superhero barbies.  That is GAY, not cool.

6 comments:

  1. It's easy to fall into the trap of collecting for collecting sake happen to me when i was into classic video gaming but i realized that was a dead end and moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This image is from The Toy & Action Figure Museum in Pauls Valley, Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think it was definitely poking fun at "collectors", and not supposed to be taken seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on Hobby,wouldn't YOU like to have all of those toys? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh… we own those Barbie superheroes...

    ReplyDelete