Thursday, August 23, 2012

Controversial Thursday- Doing recasts on illegal model kits





This is a sensitive issue to some which pushes buttons on a certain messege board but I do NOT see why...So I will ask you...What do these pictures have in common?  Give them a lookover.  Notice on Wolverine´s picture it is listed as Wolfman...Hmm?  Now they are ALL cool and all but actually they have two things in common.  They are ALL unlicensed works of established TRADEMARKED creations AND they are all recasts. 

Here is where the controversy comes in.  Modelers are sculpters have NO qualms about making original productions of TRADEMARKED creations but get pissed as hell if someone takes that work and recasts it and sells it....HUH?  BOTH are breaking the law!!!!  How can the sculpter be upset at anything is beyond me!  Why is it ok in their minds to rip off from someone else´s work but a recaster that does it is from the devil?

So that is controversial Thursday!  For the record I am FOR recasters.  I love buying something cheaper than an ¨original¨ that didn´t have any say so in the first place about it.  I do not like the sculptors always alerting Ebay when a recast is selling online when the sculpter broke the law in the first place.

So whaddya think?

7 comments:

  1. I guess i would not have a problem with these if i know they are recasts and some sort of permission was given to do these other wise to do these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If someone wants to sculpt something but make no profit off it, thats cool. Just a fan paying tribute. But once its just about money its just stealing. I understand its cheaper and such, but you gotta respect an original idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I am just talking about sculpters doing a spiderman model kit and selling it while not having permission or a license to do so THEN get mad if someone recasts it. For original creations that is different.

      Delete
  3. I only have access to the real stuff but I am sure if I could get a recast or a re-packaged action figure for less I surely would be tempted. I have have many re-issues that companies have done and I love them. I may not have an Evil Knievel stunt cycle without one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Kal! I wish the old Star Wars figures would be repopped one day.

      Delete
  4. Ever since I was a little kid I wanted a model of the Proteus. I wrote letters to model companies... you know that didn't yield any results. Any time anyone made a GK of the Proteus I bought it... studied it, and then decided building it to my desired level of quality meant I may as well scratch it... so I made my own kit... I spent about $10,000 developing the kit, and spend thousands of dollars each time I produce another batch of kits. I have letters from dozens of folks that have bought it saying I made their dream come true... I myself have not actually built one for myself because all my available "model time" is spent getting these kits ready for customers. Would I be angry if someone was recasting my kit... heck yes! Do I see your point? Yes I do... but quite frankly I think you are trolling for responses... controversial Thursday... OK... perfectly reasonable and playful, so rock on. I even recognize your valid point by responding... but if the world went according to your point there simply would not be ANY models of the Proteus, or the Planet of the Apes ship AT ALL. So I think you should acknowledge the counter to your argument is pretty darned valid as well. When I was about to release my Proteus kit, I even asked a well known "legitimate" producer of injection model kits if they were ever going to produce a Proteus kit... and they said they would LOVE to but they don't see it ever making financial sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an entire paragraph typed out and I hit the sign out button instead of the publish button. I HATE this new blogger setup. I wrote this blog entry back in 2012 well over a year ago because that is how I really feel. It is not to troll. I call all my Thursday blogs Controversial Thursday because what I believe offends people sometimes. I DO see your point. I own a Monster themed cafe where the images are NOT mine but I did create it. Someone in North Carolina is ripping off my idea by opening their own version of Monster Cafe. Am I pissed? A little...But I realize since I do not own the images he can do what he wants to. Those Garage kits of unlicensed works look cool. Would love to own one one day. But if a recaster sells them for less, I would have no qualms about buying one.

      Delete