Tuesday, June 11, 2013

LJN Rowdy Roddy Piper...

Growing up I was not a Piper fan.  I started watching in 1987 when the Piper Hogan feud was VERY over.  My exposure to him was a retirement match against Adrian Adonis.  I recognize he was one of the best talkers and thanks to Youtube I have found some classic moments.  But let's get one thing clear....He was not a very good wrestler.  Perhaps a brawler...But wrestling was not one of his strengths.  Whenever I get a classic figure it is usually missing something.  When I started this blog I fixed Ms.Elizabeth's skirt.  I featured it before.  Now was the time for Piper.  Mine didn't come with his kilt.  So I had to make one.  I showed this pic to the sewing lady...
That is the original kilt that the figure came with.  So my gal made this....

So it is not totally accurate but it IS a good one I think.  She did a little twirly in it.  So now at last my LJN wrestling collection has all it's clothes now.  It is kind of hard to see in the green light etc. but I was showing off the Snake pit again.


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey...You are cleaning teeth over at the ark...I am putting people in dresses...

      Delete
  2. While not high on my priority list,i will most definitely have to add a few LJN wrestlers to the collection.They were fun in all their unarticulated glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not high on my list either. I am only missing 10. I have most of the collection.

      Delete
  3. I am a huge Roddy Piper fan. I've followed his career from Mid Atlantic Wrestling to WWF. Piper's Pit was must see T.V. for me. I laughed so much at some of the stuff that came out of this man's mouth and at what he did on the Pit.

    I remember going to MSG for "The War To Settle The Score" match between Piper and Hogan. I was the only one cheering Piper and had stuff thrown at me. I was what, 14, 15? Maybe younger and fans were throwing paper cups at me. That was the first time I was at a match that you could feel the electricity in the air.

    One of my biggest thrills was when I got to meet Piper at a comic book convention a few years back. I don't really get nervous for anyone, but that day, I turned into the 38 year old equivalent of a 5 year old girl. He was so nice to me. My buddy was watching us interact and told me later that he seemed so genuinely interested. in what I was saying.

    My Piper collection is small right now. I have 2 more recent figures, 2 signed photos and a Hot Rod t-shirt that I love wearing. The LJN figure is a holy grail for me. I will only get it if it has the kilt on. I've had opportunities to get one without the kilt, but passed. It's something I have to have on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a story! Thanks for it! I respect Piper for sure. I think I would be that way over Bret Hart. I would be gushing...

      Delete
    2. I met Bret as well. He wasn't exactly the most personable person, but I guess maybe he was having a bad day. I mean, he was nice but he didn't go out of his way to make it seem like he was happy to meet you.

      Delete
  4. I like him in the music video for the Goonies music video

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I still got all of my WWF LJN figures.

    ReplyDelete