Thursday, February 28, 2013

Controversial Thursday- Applying for a job at Monster Cafe

Yup...It seems I HAVE to cover this subject. It has been four years now and I have had to put up with it...Some now it is time for some education.  I have to roll my eyes sometimes...So here is what not to do and what to do.  By the way if one is reading this and doesn't understand English...Just copy and paste into Google Translate and get the Spanish version.

Showing up like this for a possible job interview...BAD IDEA!  This is a restaurant.  We want to give the appearance of being CLEAN to our customers.  So yeah, SHAVE the facial hair! It is ok for ones that have them of course but for the purposes of working here...It has to be cut. Present yourself as a clean cut individual...Like....
This guy!  This guy!  Yes I said it.  Now in four year I have only SEEN one person that wore a suit to a job interview here.  That is right.  4 years.  Perhaps they do not own suits in Saltillo or people think that one is not needed to get a job.  Well...You'd be wrong. I have seen where they sell suits in Sendero. Hey at LEAST a shirt and a tie... Look how this guy is!  Very presentable!  I got the job EVERY time in the U.S. whenever I wore a suit.
Now for women....Heck I would take these two!  To me even the don't is presentable.  I like both looks...So yes mujeres....Dress classy!  The first impression is often the right one for a job interview.  EVEN for a lowly restaurant like this...
Women....Do NOT bring your Child, BoyFriend, Grandmother, Parent, or Best friend to a job interview!!!  You have no idea how many times I have seen that in Saltillo.  It is terrible.  Sends off a very bad impression.  But especially do not bring any clowns.  I am terrified of them...
Lastly....
Do not blatantly LIE on your interview....Today one gal came in WITH kid in tow...Told my wife she had letters of recommendation.  Then I interviewed her she said she didn't have letters of recommendation...STUPID GIRL!  Man....That is so stupid.  Do you really think we would hire you if you lied right to our faces?  Not too bright.
Be a bright person.  I love on Seinfeld when George Costanza was interviewing people.  He threw out a random question not related to the job.  Quick, what is your favorite animal?  The guy was not prepared for this.  He says frog...Frog?  Frog is wrong...So don't sit there with a spaced out expression on your face.  We are gaging wheather or not you can be quick on your feet.

And lastly have a good attitude.  Be willing to be humble and accept the work we give you if you need a job.      Some kids come in here expecting to be managers of the place although having NO experience in restaurants...Then they balk at doing mopping of a floor....Lord have mercy.  So change the attitude.  It goes a long way!  

Also when you accept a job....SHOW UP FOR IT!  I have given jobs to MANY people and we both agree that they will start the next day.  MANY have not even shown up which begs me to question...Why in the hell did they apply for a job here then?  Ughh....Makes no sense to me.

So come be apart of the team!  We pay MORE than any other restaurant in Saltillo because we recognize the value of a good waiter!  
Oh and here is another minor thing Saltillo....When you want to quit a job...Give TWO WEEKS NOTICE!  Yeah, like the movie!  In four years guess how many employees have given two weeks notice?  3.  That is right.  So we were open 6 days a week for almost 4 years.  You can IMAGINE we have had many employees in that time.  The pieces of shit that worked here never gave any notice.  They just didn't show up anymore.  You do that to us PLEASE do not put us a reference on your application for the next job.  You know come to think of it no one ever has.  We have never gotten one call from a new boss to ask about an employee....Guess they already knew the answer we would give...




15 comments:

  1. I can only imagine how frustrating that must be! Some people just don't have a clue! I'm the farthest thing from a "suit and tie" guy, but if I were applying for a job, I would certainly make an exception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot I would even be happy with a shirt and tie! But to come in with a wifebeater on...Defies explanation.

      Delete
  2. I used to manage a restaurant and once had a guy come in asking for an application wearing surf shorts, flip-flops with socks, and a shirt that said "DON'T ASK ME FOR SHIT" in big letters. I gave him an application, and put it directly in the garbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup...Perhaps the government should put out some commercials for people seeking employment. The right way and the wrong way to do it.

      Delete
  3. ammmm ok... a little bit rude from you but I think I understand you, truth be said Saltillo sucks at labor education, really SUCKS hard and while the suit may be seen as too much in this city there's always a way to have a good presentation, the companion stuff I can't really understand that, I've seen it so many times... and with a child??? and the worst of all it is the lying, everyone thinks that lying in an interview is ok that everybody does it and not only in Saltillo but in all México, it is really sad... so again I do think you are being rude, but I really think you are totally right and I understand your frustration, so RUDE it is sometimes the thing that people need to put their feet on the ground, by the way, you should definetly write this on spanish, many peopole in this city and others from Mexico need to read this (and believe me, they are not going to translate it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is why it is called Controversial Thursday...

      Delete
    2. You know I just read through it again to see if anything was rude. Nope. Nothing was. Perhaps the stupid girl comment was a little rough but really this is all good education. I have experience with it after 4 years. Asking someone to be presentable for a job interview is not rude in the slightest.

      Delete
    3. it is not about the issue, there's some comments that can be considered rucde but that's about perspective, still I think it is true what you wrote

      Delete
  4. May I add something? I won't talk about the waiter or waitress work at the restaurant, but I did work with you once.

    Two or three months after the place opened, I went to offer you live music. We even agreed to play once for free, just for you to see that we had quality in our service, we installed all the instruments early, we started on time and we even filled up the place, it was so crowded that you weren't satisfying the clients with the service.

    Even though we did our part, you did not wanted to pay us what we were asking, cuantity that in any bar at any city is fair. So I found really rude and offensive the description of the "Saltillo worker" you are giving here, there are professional people everywhere, you just don't seem to know how to find or reclute them.

    I don't really know where do you look for your workers, but it seems like you are not giving or enough payment or enough motivations to your workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not remember you. It is not possible. We opened December 17th 2008. The Terraza was open in August of 2009. So we didn't have music for 8 months until AFTER we opened. It doesn't go along with your two or three months time table...In addition if a band starts out and they are terrible we cut them. I believe that has happened twice here.

      Delete
  5. I don't know why it published like Unkown, alita06@gmail.com if you'll reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact one kid came in and said he played guitar and knew songs etc. We gave him Friday night...Well...he knew one song and played that one twice and then sat down to drink with his friends...yeah we cut that one...

      Delete
  6. Great advices for getting a job :D
    Just one little point: if the job is in a district where a person can get robbed, the place is a little hidden from the main avenues and streets... it is ok if a girl or a young guy that is applying for a job goes with other person, just for safety. Trust me, when I applied for my first job I went with my mom. Then I'm still working in that job, and the owner loves me like I were one of his daugthers. Man, I'm freaking lucky!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True but rarely do companies do interviews at night where that kind of thing might occur and if one does reside in a place that that happens during the day, have the guardian stand outside. Don't bring in for an interview.

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the late answer :(
      The problem is: Latin América is so violent that you can get robbed in the middle of a random sunny day in your way to the interview. Mexico, Perú, Colombia... are dangerous. My boyfriend got robbed, I almost got robbed, I heard my friends get robbed every month (I live in Lima-Perú). I never travel alone. I think it is ok to tolerate a relative going with you to an interview. Of course the relative must wait outside in the hallway or the waiting room during the interview!

      Delete